Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sustenance, hygiene and recuperation at Umoja


I hope to get a little more ambitious with my cooking, but it's been enough of a task just to land these fresh fruits and veggies. Everything is so flavorful! I'm especially enjoying the mango and avocado. It turns out we have banana and mango trees in our garden at Umoja. In fact, the bananas are ready for picking now.

 Not to worry, my sense of adventure with fallen and rotting foods does not transfer to a situation such as this one. I boiled the brush the next day.


Shower-toilet combo. My experience so far has yielded about two minutes of hot water each session. Some is better than none. I'll count my blessings.

The mosquito net looks fancy. I slept the first two nights without one, but bites on eyelids are worth avoiding.

3 comments:

  1. Hannah!! So good to hear from you. We miss you muchly but you are going to have a blast. It's so cold here and I'm thinking about warm Africa...
    Continue to send pics and news. We'll keep following your adventure.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hannah! I just found your blog... i LOVE seeing what your doing, oh how i miss Africa and the horribly cold showers and freshest fruit! I'll be checking your blog often!! Love ya!
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. hannah! you so rock, i love reading about what you are experiencing. stay safe and create amazing experiences!!!!
    evan

    ReplyDelete