Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Istanbul to Arusha

Liza and I flew from NYC to Istanbul overnight on the 5th, had a 10 hour layover there, then took off for Nairobi for an overnight flight on the 6th. We finally arrived in Nairobi on the 7th at 3:30AM...I think.
As soon as we collected our luggage, we bathed in the bathroom, stacked our luggage, and camped out until about 6:30AM. Are you following all of that?
The sun came up in Kenya as we took in some caffeine, and immediately I was struck by how much brighter it shines.
We hopped on a bus that took us across bits of violently bumpy terrain. We had to stop at the Kenya/Tanzania border to obtain visas, which was a little sticky for me. There was confusion between the visa office and the bank across the road, so I found myself running back and forth, with a worry of being left behind.
It all worked out soon enough and we were back on the road to Arusha.
The closer we got to our destination, the more beautiful the landscape became. About 15 minutes outside of Arusha, we passed through vivid green, rolling hills. The Maasai villages came close to the road, where I also saw herds of goats, cows, and a cluster of camels.
I hadn't eaten anything for the day except a cheese roll that was given to me on the plane, so when I finally got off the bus, I felt terrible. Lupo, a friend of Liza's swept us away to Liza's house, where I promptly ate some peanut M&Ms, and then a well rounded meal of beans, rice and cabbage.
Much has happened since my arrival, but that news is soon to come...

For now, here are some photos:







This one is for David.






This is an entryway to the Blue Mosque. We were scammed shortly after we entered, as a younger gentleman forced a mediocre tour on us and then demanded money. It was an awkward ordeal that is sure to be avoided in the future!


Inside

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, keep them coming. I enjoy it, and I know your mother will, too. I got scammed something like that in Paris, probably by the same guy!
    John Meekins

    ReplyDelete